Tuesday, July 17, 2007

First Figures Arrived

The first figures for this project arrived today. I ordered them from The WarStore.com. The prices were reasonable and the shipping was phenominal. I placed the order on July 13th & they arrived in my mailbox today, 17 July. The complete order consisted of a blister of Wargames Foundry Vikings, a blister of Wargames Foundry Plains Indians, and 2 Shadowforge figures. I'll start another section later about my Dark Ages project.

The Wargames Foundry Plains Indian blister is PI3A - Mounted Dog Soldiers. I chose this pack to start with because out of the current Foundry range, this pack contains the best figure to use as a war chief. I like foundry figures. They tend to be well sculpted. These figures have a more flash than what I usually find on Foundry figures. The only minor disappointment is that the horses came in only one pose.

I also received in this batch the Shadowforge figure, Madam Orr. This figure is a woman clad in her undergarments carrying a rifle. While she was probably sculpted as a madam handling a disturbance at her brothel, she could also be used to represent someone awakened in the predawn hours by a raiding party. Adobe Walls comes immediately to mind where many of the defenders fought the battle in their night clothes. I not sure of the origin of the name "Madam Orr", but it was the name of the brothel & brothel operator in the movie Support Your Local Sheriff starring James Garner. It is obviously a play on a word used for a working girl, but I don't know if it's first use was in the James Garner movie. As with all Shadowforge figures, it is well cast and has the typical Shadowforge almost cartoon like face. Some collectors don't like the faces used in the Shadowforge ranges, but I like them.

Once I prime the figures, I'll post photos as they are painted.

No comments: